If there is anything I’ve discovered from Covid-19 is that I love road trips. It’s made me appreciate where I am a lot more and especially just how much there is to do in the UK. When people tell you to visit England, they aren’t lying. There are just so many beautiful places in the UK which are so worth the journey, but when you go on the journey you need to be prepared!
This post is based for those who don’t have some super savvy RV or camper van to go road tripping in and have to go in their Renault Cleo to do 17 hours of driving (plot twist, that’s Brad and I!). We drove the South West coast of the UK staying in multiple Airbnbs, which you can view here, and driving along in Brad Renault Cleo. The OLD Renault Cleo too, and it was great!
When you’re travelling with a person like me who had a bladder the size of a pea and also struggles to sleep, did I mention I’m also a top worrier with my anxiety hitting extortionate levels when I feel the situation is out of my control, so I like to be prepared when we are doing things like this!
I am really glad we did the trip because it felt liberating after so long being inside. Of course we took all the necessary precautions and in doing so this also added a few extra essentials to our trip! So see the list below on what I feel are the best Road Trip essentials!
Our Road Trip Essentials
Covid-19 Essentials to start with:
- Correct paperwork if you are exempt from mask wearing.
- Books! Lots of good books for the journey! Or a Kindle!
- Your phone, of course! Or not! Depends how disconnected you want to be whilst away!
- Your purse/wallet, ID and card.
- If you like to film your adventures like I do, a Go Pro, memory card and external hard drive.
- Torch (ESSENTIAL this one).
- Chargers for every electrical appliance you are taking with you.
- A Notepad.
- A print out of your Airbnb or hotel bookings just in case!
- Drinks flask.
- A cool bag for food if you take any perishables with you.
- Phone Charger.
- Plug Adapters.
- Neck Pillow & An Actual Pillow.
- Sat Nav (Or your phone in these modern days).
- Phone Holder.
- Aux Cable & Aux Adapter!
- Underwear (I mean you can’t forget that, unless you’re a nudist, then you do you!).
- Shoes and extra socks for all weather. E.G Walking boots, flip flops.
- Swimming Costumes & Trunks
- Jeans & Trousers
- ‘Going Out’ Wear, Anything from dresses to skirts, blouses to shirts, whatever you feel comfortable in!
- Summer Dresses are always a must (weather permitting).
- A Coast, Cardigan, Hoodie, all of the above. I always tend to bring an extra coat with me just in case the car breaks down and you’re stuck on the side of the road, got to keep warm!
- A smaller bag instead of your backpacks! If you head out for some food you need a nice handbag or clutch bag to take with you.
- Blanket, a KEY essential especially if your road trip involves any form of camping. Maybe even a duvet.
- Slipper socks & Slippers.
- Winter Coat (as above) to keep you nice and warm!
- Fluffy PJ’s are always a vibe.
- For the ladies: Tampons, Pads etc.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Make up.
- Compact Mirror.
- Shampoo, Conditioner and Dry Shampoo (a must).
I also headed to twitter to ask my fellow bloggers if they were going on a road trip (in a Pre Covid-19 world) and they could bring 1 Essential item, what would it be?
Here are some of the responses below!